With the holidays right around the corner, I am always looking for quick recipes for week night dinners. Here is one of our favorites Rigatoni with Sausage and Escarole.
First, here is everything you will need:
1 bunch of escarole chopped up
1 onion diced
1 red pepper diced (not too small)
2-3 cloves of garlic minced
2 lbs of rigatoni (I like to always make enough for leftovers. This recipe tastes even better the next day)
2 lbs bulk sweet Italian sausage
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup reserved pasta water (after pasta has cooked)
Olive oil, salt, and pepper
A nice loaf of bread to serve with!! Of course!!
1) In a large pot add rigatoni to heavily salted, boiling water. I use about a palmful of salt. Boil for about 12 minutes. Remember to reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
2) While the pasta is boiling, in a large sauté pan heat a large drizzle of olive oil and add the onions and red peppers, salt and pepper and sauté until the vegetables are soft. About 4 minutes
3) Next add the sausage to the veggies break up with a wooden spoon until browned. About 8 minutes.
4) Add garlic to the sausage and veggies. Stir for 1 minite
5) Add the escarole to the sausage and veggies an let wilt down mixing into mixture. About 5 minutes.
6) Take the sausage mixture and mix in with pasta. Add the reserved pasta water and Parmesan cheese. Mix everything together.
Serve with extra cheese on the side and a nice loaf of bread!!