The 2nd edition to our easy weeknight recipes during these crazy busy last couple weeks before the holidays! This meal is a one pot meal and is a cross between a soup and a stew. It is an old Rachel Ray 30 minute meal that I adapted a bit for my family and they LOVE it! Give it try and let me know what you think!
First: this is what you will need
1) 1 onion, diced
2) 4 celery stalks, diced
3) one bag of shredded carrots
4) 1 bay leaf
5) 8 cups of chicken stock (low sodium)
6) 1 lb ground chicken ( or turkey if you prefer)
7) 3 cloves garlic, minced
8) a pinch ground nutmeg
9) 1 egg
10) 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
11) 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
12) 1 package gnocchi
13) 1 cup peas
14) a nice loaf of bread for dipping!!
Now, what to do with it all!
1) Over medium high heat in a large pot heat a drizzle of olive oil. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and bay leaf, salt & pepper. Cook for 5 minutes
2) Add the chicken stock to the pot, cover and bring to a boil.
3) In a medium bowl place the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic, nutmeg, egg, bread crumbs, and cheese
4) Now wash your hands and get in there and mix it all together!
5) Form walnut sized meatballs and add them to the soup as you go.
6) Add the gnocchi to the pot and cook for 5 minutes
7) Add the peas and cook for 2 more minutes then turn off heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the stove before you eat
I like to sprinkle more Parmesan cheese on top of each bowl and serve with a slice of nice bread and maybe a Caesar salad on the side. Makes about 6-7 servings.
****please note if you are making ahead do not add the gnocchi until you want to eat it. This stoup freezes very well, but do not add the gnocchi until the time you want to eat it.